Farnam Street - Mental Models for Better Thinking

Farnam Street - Mental Models for Better Thinking

Register & Get access to index

kurcina

TutFlixer
Oct 7, 2020
Slovakia
kurcina submitted a new resource:

Mental Models for Better Thinking - 5-step system to mental models and a framework for use

mental-models-1@2x-1024x595.png

Do you spend countless hours reading, listening to podcasts, and watching informative videos… only to still feel like you’re winging it most of the time?

The way you think determines everything:

• How you see the world
  • How you see yourself
  • How you process new information
  • How you approach challenges and opportunities that come your way...

Read more about this resource...

rawstyle

TutFlixer
Jan 23, 2024
The Moon
Curious if anyone thought this course was useful? I am only at first section (acquire a model), and third subchapter (How to) but to me it seems like very superficial knowledge.

First of all, it doesn't even give a list of great mental model. I know their point is that its different based on every individual, like a construction needs a different mental model from a doctor etc. But I would be pissed to pay $400 to have someone tell me "go to your school and learn from your reputable teachers in your field".

Also, they say its best to find generic and timeless mental models... So that kind of also makes me question why they don't give any useful ones? The only one they gave (so far) is the "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards" by Søren Kierkegaard, but their explanation is superficial again in my taste. I don't need anyone to tell me its smarter to figure out what kind of house you want, and not just randomly look for houses. I don't need anyone to tell me that you can't sometimes get two goals that are in direct conflict with each other (fast commute with train, but live far out in no where land).

/rant over

Does it get better in future lessons?:) and thanks for the course nevertheless, I know I didn't pay a dime for it, and I am quite grateful for your sharing!

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

jamespinnochio

TutFlixer
Jan 1, 2024
London
Curious if anyone thought this course was useful? I am only at first section (acquire a model), and third subchapter (How to) but to me it seems like very superficial knowledge.

First of all, it doesn't even give a list of great mental model. I know their point is that its different based on every individual, like a construction needs a different mental model from a doctor etc. But I would be pissed to pay $400 to have someone tell me "go to your school and learn from your reputable teachers in your field".

Also, they say its best to find generic and timeless mental models... So that kind of also makes me question why they don't give any useful ones? The only one they gave (so far) is the "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards" by Søren Kierkegaard, but their explanation is superficial again in my taste. I don't need anyone to tell me its smarter to figure out what kind of house you want, and not just randomly look for houses. I don't need anyone to tell me that you can't sometimes get two goals that are in direct conflict with each other (fast commute with train, but live far out in no where land).

/rant over

Does it get better in future lessons?:) and thanks for the course nevertheless, I know I didn't pay a dime for it, and I am quite grateful for your sharing!
For mental models, you also need to read his books and blogs.
It will help you with connecting different topics together.

Reactions: rawstyle

Latest resources