Learn to build framework for API automation testing (backend testing) using Python and PyTest, SQL, Reports, Docker ...
What you'll learn
- How to write API automation (backend automation) using Python 3
- How to validate API response
- How to build automation framework
- BONUS: SQL Crash Course
- How to validate database
- How to generate reports for your tests (pytest-html, Allure, jUnit)
- How to create a real eCommerce WordPress site locally
- How to run tests in Docker container
- How to use PyTest (most popular unit testing framework)
- Have basic knowledge of Python programming language
- Have basic knowledge of software testing
- Have sudo/admin access to your laptop to be able to install software
Learn how to use Python to test the back-end of web services or APIs. We use industry standard real eCommerce RESTful API to practice testing using Python programming language.
We will build a framework using one of the most popular testing tools PyTest. The framework we will build will be extendable and scalable to be able to include frontend (Selenium WebDriver) testing.
The skills learned here are used in any Web Serivces testing.
BONUS: SQL Crash Course
You will learn how to use SQL to read and write to/from databases. We will use MySQL for our main test site so we will use the same database to learn SQL. SQL (sequel) is critical skill for any test engineer (manual or automation needs to know basic SQL).
The crash course in SQL is short and precise. Topics only directly related to automation are covered. Great addition to your resume and interview process.
Critical addition to your resume
If you are getting into the QA world or you are looking to advance your career, having API testing skill will accelerate your success. Python is one of the most popular languages to use in software testing, and knowing how to use it for API/Backend testing will expand your pool of possibilities.
In addition to using Python for API/Backend testing, the tools we will use are great addition to your resume. We will be using industry standard tools that can be applied to several tasks beyond API testing.
After completion of this course you will be able to go through interview as if you have API testing experience. You will also have plenty of APIs to test and practice.
Content and Overview
In this course we will spend some time creating an eCommerce application on our local machine. We will install a package that includes web server and database. Using this package we will install WordPress and install necessary plugins to make it an eCommerce application. The eCommerce application gives us all the APIs we will test.
We have access to the database so we will test API data against the database. We will create a efficiently structured test framework and learn how to use Python to perform our verification.
We will also learn how to use a Python test runner tool "pytest" see why test runner tools are critical for automation testing.
What am I going to get from this course?
- 35 + lectures (continuously adding more examples)
- Plenty of APIs (endpoints) for you to practice with beyond this class
- Enough material and examples to be able to create a project and maintain a GitHub repo
- Industry standard tools to add to your resume.
- MySQL Workbench
- AMPPS (package with Apache, MySQL, PHP, ....)
- Anyone looking to learn automation Backend/API testing
- Anyone that already know basic Python and want to learn Backend/API testing
- Anyone looking to gain experience automating the backend test for real eCommerce site
- Anyone looking to learn to setup their own API locally and practice testing