How to Get Funding for a Masters and PhD | PostDoc Position Cover Email
What you'll learn
- Types of Funding: Scholarships and Asistantships
- How to market yourself with a captivating email for funding and mentoring request
- Practical template that has worked for me and my mentees
- The qualities that Professors look out for in potential graduate students
- How to follow-up in case of a negative response or no reply
- The mindset of graduate admission and funding decision makers
- Self-confidence regardless of how little you have achieved
- Readiness to prepare your own funding and mentoring request by actively participating in the course activities
- Optional: An idea of the universities, field, and/or potential mentors (you are hoping to work with in the USA)
Admission and funding for graduate school are always very competitive. Oftentimes, qualifying for admission does not guarantee funding. In addition, applicants are sometimes required to find a mentor before getting accepted. This course will teach you how to get that competitive edge by creating a captivating first impression using an effective request letter/email to sell your qualities. This is very important because it is usually the first look at your writing style.
This course will be taught by Dr. Babajide (Bestman) Ojo. After 6 years in graduate school, with several thousands of dollars in tuition waivers, scholarships/fellowships with monthly stipends, I will use my personal and acquired experiences to educate you on the following:
- Understanding the process and mindset of Professors and other decision-makers
- Types of funding to look out for and suggestions on where to find them (depending on the university)
- What a "ghost applicant" is, and why you cannot afford to be one regardless of how qualified you may be
- How to select the most important qualities to market to the Professors and other decision-makers
- How to write, format, and arrange your request letter/email using a real-life example. For this, I'll walk you through writing your own captivating request email, paragraph-by-paragraph.
- How to follow-up appropriately when you get no reply or a negative reply.
- Everyone seeking to further their career by getting a funded Masters or Ph.D. Although I tend to focus on graduate education in the USA, the ideas presented in this course can be applied to any country where you are required to prove yourself and fight for a competitive funded Masters, Ph.D. or Postdoc position.
- Applicants with the confidence to "sell" themselves regardless of how little they have achieved.
- Anyone seeking a Masters degree
- Anyone seeking a PhD
- Current undergraduates seeking clarity on graduate school