Learn how to build a complete social networking app from start to finish in Swift! [front-end + back-end]
What you'll learn
- How to build an Instagram-like app from scratch writing 100% in Swift!
- Create beautiful screens using SwiftUI (front-end development)
- Implement popular features such as liking & commenting on posts
- Create a real database using Google Firebase Firestore (back-end development)
- Manage user onboarding (Sign in with Apple + Google) and account creation
- Build custom algorithms to download posts
- Manage data efficiently using UserDefaults, image compression, image caches and multithreading
- Optimize uploading and downloading tasks for a better user experience
- Track user behavior using Firebase Analytics
- Implement custom animations and haptics (vibrations)
- Optimize screens for all iPhone sizes, in both light & dark mode
- Implement alerts, action sheets, and other pop-ups to give users realtime feedback
- Write safe and professional code to avoid crashes!
- Xcode 12.0 or higher (free to download on Mac)
- Google email account (free to create)
- Apple Developer Account (optional)
Welcome to DogGram! This course is designed to cover everything you need to be able to CREATE YOUR OWN SOCIAL NETWORKING APP from scratch.
In the first section of the course, we will focus on building the front-end of the app. We will use SwiftUI to create 15+ screens, set up the navigation, and add beautiful animations to the app.
In the second section, we will focus on adding the back-end to our app. We will connect DogGram to Google Firebase and set up a live database. We will allow users to sign in, create accounts, customize their profiles, and then upload/download posts in real time.
This will be a complete app from start to finish!
We will begin with a blank Xcode project and build the entire app together, writing 100% in Swift. This is NOT a template course where we build screens that just look good! We are building a fully functioning app, where real people can actually sign in, create accounts, and upload photos. Users will be able to like, comment, share, and report each other's posts in REAL TIME!
- Building for iOS 14 using SwiftUI 2.0
- Creating 15+ screens
- Adding custom animations
- Users can like, comment, share, and report posts in real time
- Users can upload images from camera roll + photo library and add custom captions
- Connected to Google Firebase Firestore
- We will manage uploading and downloading of data
- Build algorithms to download posts
- Sign In with Apple & Google
- Fully customizable user profiles (display name, bio, profile picture)
- UserDefaults to persist data
- Image compression to manage data sizes
- Image caches to save data locally
- Multithreading to optimize app performance
- Implement "if let" and "guard" statements to avoid all crashes
- Handle user experiences using in-app pop-ups and alerts
- Adding Google Analytics to track user behavior
- Adding haptics (vibrations) and extra animations
- Additional Challenges for further learning
So welcome to DogGram, GET EXCITED, and I'll see you in the next video!
Who this course is for:
- Designed for students of all levels!
- Beginners with a basic understanding of Swift and who want to learn how to create a complete app from start to finish!
- Front-end Swift developers who want to get better with SwiftUI
- Back-end Swift developers who want to learn Google Firebase
- Anyone who wants to be able to create their own social networking app
- Anyone interested in full-stack Swift development