What you'll learn
- apply Spark big data principles
- practice Spark DataFrames operations with 100+ examples and exercises
- practice type-safe data processing with Spark Datasets
- work with low-level Spark APIs with RDDs
- use Spark SQL for data processing
- migrate data from various data sources, including databases
UPDATED FOR SPARK 3.0
In this course, we will learn how to write big data applications with Apache Spark 3 and Scala. You'll write 2000+ lines of Spark code yourself, with guidance, and you will become a rockstar.
This course is for Scala programmers who are getting started with Apache Spark and big data. The course is not for advanced Spark engineers.
Why Spark in Scala:
- it's blazing fast for big data
- its demand has exploded
- it's a highly marketable skill
- it's well maintained, with dozens of high-quality extensions
- it's a foundation for a data scientist
- deconstructs all concepts into the critical pieces you need
- selects the most important ideas and separates them into what's simple but critical and what's powerful
- sequences ideas in a way that "clicks" and makes sense throughout the process of learning
- applies everything in live code
- a completely new mental model around data processing
- significantly more marketable resume
- more enjoyable work - Spark is fun!
This course is NOT for you if
- you've never written Scala code before
- you don't have some essential parallel programming background (e.g. what's a process/a thread)
I believe both theory and practice are important. That's why you'll get lectures with code examples, real life code demos and assignments, plus additional resources, instructions, exercises and solutions. At the end of the course, you'll have written thousands of lines of Spark.
I've seen that my students are most successful - and my best students work at Google-class companies - when they're guided, but not being told what to do. I have exercises waiting for you, where I offer my (opinionated) guidance but otherwise freedom to experiment and improve upon your code.
Definitely not least, my students are most successful when they have fun along the way!
So join me in this course and let's rock the JVM!
Who this course is for:
- Future data scientists
- Programmers getting into the field of Big Data
- Engineers wanting to learn Spark in Scala, its native language