Step-by-step - from beginning to end, we will make a song together in this course. No experience necessary!
What you'll learn
- Students will learn how to craft songs using audio software as their main tool.
- Using MIDI for composition and songwriting
- Creating a sound "pallete"
- Sketching your song
- Defining the Form of the song
- Lyrics and Vocals
- Drum Programming
- Sound Design Elements
- Adding in Real instruments (recording)
- Students should have a desire to write great songs, and access to a computer with any audio sequencing software (DAW).
- The ability to record instruments is not required, although it will be discussed and demonstrated in the class.
Welcome to Songwriting in Ableton Live (Or Any Audio Application!)
This course is "5-Star Certified" by the International Association of Online Music Educators and Institutions (IAOMEI). This course has been independently reviewed by a panel of experts and has received a stellar 5-star rating.
In this class, we are going to write a song together. We will start with just messing around on the keyboard until we find an idea, then we will work on the song structure, form, sound design, and end with mixing it and a discussion about mastering the track. Beginning to end - step by step!
100% Answer Rate! Every single question posted to this class is answered within 24 hours by the instructor.
This class is for anyone who has an interest in songwriting. Especially:
- Aspiring Songwriters: If you have never written a song before, but you want to learn how its done, this course is for you.
- Songwriters: If you are a traditional songwriter, but want to expand your palette by using electronic elements, or just help recording your songs, this course is for you.
- Musicians: If you have wanted to improve your compositions by understanding how the writing with audio software works, this course is for you.
- Producers: Improve your tracks by gaining a deeper understanding of form, sketching, structure, and development.
The goal of this class is for you to learn how to make original, compelling, and memorable sounding music.
This course is NOT specific to any DAW program.
I'll be using Ableton Live Suite 10 in this course as my main DAW, but if you are using any other program you will be able to follow along just fine. That includes Logic, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Reaper, Reason, Cubase, or any of the others. My method in this class is to teach concepts, so whatever I do, you will be able to do it in your own software.
I'm best known for working with electronic music, but I've designed this course to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to genre. We will talk about songwriting techniques for all genres, sounds, and styles. All genres are welcome here!
- The Essential Tools of Songwriting
- Working with MIDI
- MIDI Controllers, Keyboards, and Guitars
- Overdubbing real instruments
- Defining a Sound "Palette"
- Building a Library of Samples
- Building a Library of Synths
- Building a Library of Drum Sounds and Loops
- Developing a Sketch
- Expanding a Sketch
- Defining Form
- Drum Programming
- Sound Design Elements
- Recording "real" Instruments
- Tuning Recordings
- And much, much more!
Dr. Allen is a university music professor and is a top-rated Udemy instructor - with nearly 100 courses and over 200,000 students.
In 2017 Star Tribune Business featured him as a "Mover and a Shaker," and he is recognized by the Grammy Foundation for his music education classes.
** I guarantee that this course is the most thorough songwriting course available ANYWHERE on the market - or your money back (30-day money-back guarantee) **
Closed captions have been added to all lessons in this course.
Praise for Courses by Jason Allen:
⇢ "It seems like every little detail is being covered in an extremely simple fashion. The learning process becomes relaxed and allows complex concepts to get absorbed easily. My only regret is not taking this course earlier." - M. Shah
⇢ "Great for everyone without any knowledge so far. I bought all three parts... It's the best investment in leveling up my skills so far.." - Z. Palce
⇢ "Excellent explanations! No more or less than what is needed." - A. Tóth
⇢ "VERY COOL. I've waited for years to see a good video course, now I don't have to wait anymore. Thank You!" - Jeffrey Koury
⇢ "I am learning LOTS! And I really like having the worksheets!" - A. Deichsel
⇢ "The basics explained very clearly - loads of really useful tips!" - J. Pook
⇢ "Jason is really quick and great with questions, always a great resource for an online class!" M. Smith
Students who register for this course will receive ongoing exclusive content and discounts for all future classes in the series.
Who this course is for:
- Songwriters: If you write songs and you are looking how to expand your musical vocabulary, this course is for you!
- Aspiring Songwriters: If you have never written a song before, but you are ready to try, this is a perfect course for you. We will start at the beginning, and go all the way through my entire process.