Are you "I want to do everything but I end up doing nothing" kind of person?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Frankly, I've struggled with Shiny-Object-Syndrome for way too long. At work, I deal with backend/data engineering problems on a day to day basis. I started learning Django framework recently. Honestly I quite like it, and should be focusing on building a deep expertise in this domain. But, I come across some cool front-end tech, and I want to watch that. A new personal development course pops up, I want to do that too! A course in mobile development? Oooh that sounds interesting!! And the ease of availability of resources only worsens this dilemma.

I find it very hard to stick one thing long enough to get actually develop proficiency! It's as if I want to learn everything only because it's new and hip, and I'm kinda running away from making something substantial with it.

Have any of you faced something similar? How did you escape tutorial purgatory? Any tips you'd like to share that'll help overcome this? Not sure if this is wrong to post it here - but I had a hunch there could be others who might benefit from this discussion.

thedusbin

TutFlixer
Dec 5, 2020
Nepal
I also feel the same thing. I too wanted to learn everything and am procrastinating every day about learning sth new and all and at last, late-night have anxiety thinking and not learning. Downloading every course I get hands-on. Thank you for posting this. I felt I was the only one in this. I too am searching for answers.

santosh

TutFlixer
Sep 17, 2020
India
Hi I too have struggled with Shiny-Object-Syndrome but now I am only focusing on one thing (for me it is learning back end).
Tips that worked for me are:-
1)To reduce Shiny-Object-Syndrome when something pops up like new course, new tech tutorial I note them and I after i get bored of learning back end for long time I manage some time for these "Shiny-Object" so that i don't get bored learning new thing.
2) In order to escape from "watching tutorials and learning nothing" I first will build that project even if I follow bad practices on my own and watch the tutorial.

777_mahakaal

TutFlixer
Oct 17, 2020
In Your Dreams
I totally feel you dude. I've been there and i'm still struggling to eradicate it totally. Here's what i do:

1)Make a priority list and strongly commit yourself to that. Start completing them one by one not all at once.

2) Stop looking for the best skill or best resource. Just do a bit of research, select one and stay loyal to that.

3) [MOST IMPORTANT] Stop visiting websites or forums or any internet sources that makes you switch from what you're pursuing . Go on digital dieting for a week or two if necessary.

The 3rd point has worked wonders for me. Hope it helps.

imraxstar

TutFlixer
Sep 12, 2020
Mars
It's a very different advice and feel very weird to you maybe.
Ohk
Just do one thing
Do nothing
Nothing means do not do what you are doing previously.
Do not even visit the forum for some day.
Watch 3-4 best movies - great - go for nolan movies in those 3-4 days.
One movie a day.
Do not think about personal development stuff , skill stuff , downloadingg courses stuff.
Deep breath before you sleep.

Learn the one skill - Which make load of money...load of money.

Kousik

TutFlixer
Oct 21, 2020
India
same here ... wat i am doing ... selecting one framework and one online course and their documentation as resource as my base ... too many resources can fcuk u up .. then i am watching other courses by fast forwarding ...

Reactions: anonymousy

Heiden

TutFlixer
Dec 16, 2020
Pakistan
Same for me too .. Have so many courses and resources but can't focus on one .... But I'm tryin my hard to stick on 1 thing first and then move on to other.

jackgow

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Jan 8, 2021
India
I was there. But not any more. All you gotta do is start making money out of one thing you learnt or you like. Even it's a single dollar, don't blink & just do it. Once you start to harvest the money out of your labor, your mind will focus on it.
People say work on what you love and you'll never work in your entire life. But, It never worked for me.
What worked for me is this:
Work on the thing that makes you good money and use that money to do what you love.

hacstac

TutFlixer
Dec 29, 2020
india
Try to write a study journal ( Your Daily Logs of daily learning ): At the end of the week you will know which things your spend time on Please don't buy any planner or app ( You will waste your time ) pickup your old notebook and write it down for 6 months or a year (then think about the planner or some funky app ) & for video courses or books. Pick one course and complete it first ( Set some goals or rewards for yourself ).

RahulV36

TutFlixer
Dec 17, 2020
India
George Hotz is the person behind self driving software of Tesla. Look at his advice on your problem (3 min video).
His advice : First have a problem , that can be solved using what you are trying to learn . And then in the process of trying to solve it , you learn that technology/skill.

Last edited:

TheStealer

TutFlixer
Dec 1, 2020
Sealed
IDK if this will help you or not but even if I watch a tutorial I tend to learn and improvise through it so that I don't get stuck in tutorial hell bcoz of it, but what I understand it that looking at something and getting a head start with it can make a lot of difference in learning curve, and you don't feel like you didn't accomplish anything by end of the day, but we all know everybody has a unique way of learning things, so you might want to improve, adapt and overcome through it.
The best advice is to find ways in what you love 😄

regex

TutFlixer
Jan 14, 2021
can
I believe it has to do with a person's psychology. If you look around, the majority of data hoarders and course collectors and shiny object people are semi to full blown OCD and may have hoarding issues related to and unrelated to ADHD.
The theory of obtaining dopamine by collecting and hoarding these shiny objects rather than completing the course and moving to the next step. Its about getting dopamine via these channels that repeat over and over again.
Similar to saving bookmarks for later or keeping hundreds of tabs open because you think youll need it later.

renderer

TutFlixer
Sep 15, 2020
grinding 🏃
The reason behind that is, is because jumping to another framework or language is easy. It is always easier to start from scratch, rather than sticking into something. When you stick to one thing, eventually things will get harder as you move away from the basics. Subconsciously your brain will always look for the easy way out, and unless you have convinced yourself that you are solving a problem that is important for you, your brain will convince you that jumping into that other framework is more important for your progress.

That is why I agree with the guy who posted the George Hotz advice vid above. Find a problem that you need to solve and find courses that'll help you get there. Another idea is to put immense pressure on yourself to go through that course, like telling somebody that you'll make a blog post about what you learned in that course after 1 week and if you fail to do it, you pay that dude $100. Or telling someone that you'll build an app using XYZ technology that you could learn from doing some course.

Latest resources