NodeJS Back-end architecture

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

testeAbc123

TutFlixer
Aug 21, 2021
Brazil
Hi everyone, I've been studying/working with nodejs for a while and my company started a job using clean architecture with nodejs. I understand the gains implementing this arch gives on testing and maintaining the code but found it unnecessarily complex to use in some apps. Is it usual to implement node APIs with clean architecture or most of you use MVC? What type of back-end architecture do you use?

darkentropy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Mustafar
Hi everyone, I've been studying/working with nodejs for a while and my company started a job using clean architecture with nodejs. I understand the gains implementing this arch gives on testing and maintaining the code but found it unnecessarily complex to use in some apps. Is it usual to implement node APIs with clean architecture or most of you use MVC? What type of back-end architecture do you use?
was on the same boat a year ago. I joined a very fast pace startup, we werent having any product but had planned 10-15 micro services so when we started building it we looked at many different architectures (Clean arch, DDD, TDD, etc..) but none of the made sense for us because we had separate services for everything and maintaining 10-15 architectures would have been a mess. If you have a big monolith and that's going to be big no matter what and you know it then go ahead with The Clean Arch but if you have a bunch of small services having single purpose then having a simple MVC like arch wont be a problem. I feel Clean Arch should be taken with a pinch of salt, don't consume it directly, take the good parts and learn from its complexities.

GAA

TutFlixer
Aug 23, 2021
Uruguay
Hi Guys, i don't have this picture very clear because in my experience this depends of client needs but a real perspective is that many companies are using microservices arch for sacalability and many others advantages. For example now im working in a node project build with NestJS a NodeJS Backend Framework and is designed as 5 microservices aaa, etc with self dbs. I think the best arch design is the more simple and fast u can manage deploy and develop.

darkentropy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Mustafar
Hi Guys, i don't have this picture very clear because in my experience this depends of client needs but a real perspective is that many companies are using microservices arch for sacalability and many others advantages. For example now im working in a node project build with NestJS a NodeJS Backend Framework and is designed as 5 microservices aaa, etc with self dbs. I think the best arch design is the more simple and fast u can manage deploy and develop.
Yes exactly

testeAbc123

TutFlixer
Aug 21, 2021
Brazil
Our project is a huge monolith, and we use NestJs also. Was asking because all the curses I've done about nodejs never approached this topic, people most of the time use MVC and got curious to know if it's common to use Clean arch in node or not. Thanks all for your answers.

Reactions: renderer

innovationstack

TutFlixer
Nov 24, 2020
India
You can implement Domain-Driven-Design using NestJS (or basic ExpressJS) as well. The framework only exists to assist you with infrastructure boilerplate (in case of NestJS, it helps you with building application using controllers, services, middlewares). You still need to implement your business logic. If your business logic is quite complicated (having nested workflows and validations), DDD can help you there

Latest resources