PHP still rules! All hail the king!

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

encephalitis

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
india
i knew something about php is the best till date , since almost all private torrent trackers are running with it

using modern technologies is as same as like , learning NoSql even though companies still predominantly use Sql :v

Reactions: rishu2022

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
Probably has something to do with the fact that php is installed on most free / cheap hosting sites, and thus has the least friction deploying it. I wonder how much is the usage ratio with microservices. There are tons of articles of php+microservices so probably not low either.

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
Probably has something to do with the fact that php is installed on most free / cheap hosting sites, and thus has the least friction deploying it. I wonder how much is the usage ratio with microservices. There are tons of articles of php+microservices so probably not low either.
Oh, and of course wordpress. The elephant in the room (php's logo is / was an elephant btw.). It is OK though, it is a quite flexible system, I've used it for years. Also laravel and symfony are 2 great php frameworks, there's also nette a smaller but great looking framework, etc. It's just there are things that are a bit strange to me, like interfaces and traits. I love that stuff is getting cross-implemented between node / python / php. These are getting very similar. I still prefer python though for its simpler constructs (like namespaces <> modules, also no interfaces but classes only - that can be abstract -, etc.) but I admit, php is getting rid of its legacy.

p.s. I see php also has abstract classes. So php has those, and interfaces and also traits which are kinda used for solving a very similar problem. OK.

Reactions: rishu2022

whoopty_hoops

TutFlixer
May 28, 2021
India
Oh, and of course wordpress. The elephant in the room (php's logo is / was an elephant btw.). It is OK though, it is a quite flexible system, I've used it for years. Also laravel and symfony are 2 great php frameworks, there's also nette a smaller but great looking framework, etc. It's just there are things that are a bit strange to me, like interfaces and traits. I love that stuff is getting cross-implemented between node / python / php. These are getting very similar. I still prefer python though for its simpler constructs (like namespaces <> modules, also no interfaces but classes only - that can be abstract -, etc.) but I admit, php is getting rid of its legacy.

p.s. I see php also has abstract classes. So php has those, and interfaces and also traits which are kinda used for solving a very similar problem. OK.
hey @dikk if you dont mind can you recommend me a good laravel course from here that I can take. I need to learn laravel for my new work project that they need my help with. And yeah btw I genuinely thank you for your python script for compression it works like a charm. I have like compressed my collections by like 10 folds. Just wondering Is there a way I can speed up the Handbrake application ? currently it takes about 3-5 hours for storage of about 4-11gb.

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
hey @dikk if you dont mind can you recommend me a good laravel course from here that I can take. I need to learn laravel for my new work project that they need my help with. And yeah btw I genuinely thank you for your python script for compression it works like a charm. I have like compressed my collections by like 10 folds. Just wondering Is there a way I can speed up the Handbrake application ? currently it takes about 3-5 hours for storage of about 4-11gb.
Hey, thanks for the feedback glad you could make use of that script. The handbrake script needs updating as it does not work with the newer 1.4.x releases - since they switched to .net core and that has built-in json parser + other stuff changed (many things in fact). Anyway, as of laravel, to be honest there are many courses here, a few of them I've grabbed, but I am not - at the moment - that interested in laravel / do not have spare time for it. Anyway if you know other frameworks, or have used something already like code igniter, ruby on rails, flask, django, anything basically, then most concepts will be similar. And then I'd recommend a book from O'reilly: laravel up and running (2nd edition, 2019), or the laracasts tutorials, starting with laravel from scratch, then maybe again laracasts: build a voting app, also test-driven laravel by adam wathan, and anything by the belgian "spatie" guy -- though those are more advanced, but well put together.

As of speeding up handbrake: if you have a good gpu (at least 1080, 16xx or 2000 / 3000 series nvidia, or few years old amd) you could try out the hardware accelerated encoding options under the video tab / video encoder - set to h265 (nvidia nvenc) or h265 (amd vce) -- be sure to enable hardware encoding under preferences / video settings if you do not see anything. My script might only use the non-hardware accelerated options (I am not sure if that option was required) so try it with one file first, and check the speed / quality with / without. I resorted to software encoding as the quality was the best with that option, but I only use a 960m nvidia card, so that might be a culprit. Also non-hw-accelerated has the best compatibility.

Reactions: whoopty_hoops

whoopty_hoops

TutFlixer
May 28, 2021
India
Hey, thanks for the feedback glad you could make use of that script. The handbrake script needs updating as it does not work with the newer 1.4.x releases - since they switched to .net core and that has built-in json parser + other stuff changed (many things in fact). Anyway, as of laravel, to be honest there are many courses here, a few of them I've grabbed, but I am not - at the moment - that interested in laravel / do not have spare time for it. Anyway if you know other frameworks, or have used something already like code igniter, ruby on rails, flask, django, anything basically, then most concepts will be similar. And then I'd recommend a book from O'reilly: laravel up and running (2nd edition, 2019), or the laracasts tutorials, starting with laravel from scratch, then maybe again laracasts: build a voting app, also test-driven laravel by adam wathan, and anything by the belgian "spatie" guy -- though those are more advanced, but well put together.

As of speeding up handbrake: if you have a good gpu (at least 1080, 16xx or 2000 / 3000 series nvidia, or few years old amd) you could try out the hardware accelerated encoding options under the video tab / video encoder - set to h265 (nvidia nvenc) or h265 (amd vce) -- be sure to enable hardware encoding under preferences / video settings if you do not see anything. My script might only use the non-hardware accelerated options (I am not sure if that option was required) so try it with one file first, and check the speed / quality with / without. I resorted to software encoding as the quality was the best with that option, but I only use a 960m nvidia card, so that might be a culprit. Also non-hw-accelerated has the best compatibility.
Thanks again for the script and thank you for the suggestions for the laravel courses, will be taking up the laracast course.
Tbh I am from python background so I love the simplicity of Flask and have familiarity with nodejs as it functions like flask. Wanted to learn REACTJS found some great courses was gonna start but sadly the seniors picked me up for this old laravel project that they wanted me to help them with so I had no choice but to learn laravel hahhahahaha.
Yeah, I will try out the hardware accelerated encoding options to speed up my compression.
Once again thank you for your great work with compressions.

Latest resources