What's your way of studying an online course?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

elliotalderson

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
I'm curious to know what methods do you use to study a technical course online. Is there any specific way to avoid procrastination and getting stressed on the way of learning?

• Do you guys take notes while watching a Udemy course?
  • Do you watch an entire video or prefer coding along with the instructor.
In my case. I've been struggling to complete a course. I get easily distracted and also I'm in a hurry to complete the videos.
I would like to know the strategy used by guys/girls here, so that I will be able to complete a course and skill up, rather than Downloading and saving all the courses(Not only from programming) and updating it whenever a new update comes.
🥺

Reactions: whyyor

DarkestRider

TutFlixer
Nov 9, 2020
Netherlands
I'm curious to know what methods do you use to study a technical course online. Is there any specific way to avoid procrastination and getting stressed on the way of learning?

• Do you guys take notes while watching a Udemy course?
  • Do you watch an entire video or prefer coding along with the instructor.
In my case. I've been struggling to complete a course. I get easily distracted and also I'm in a hurry to complete the videos.
I would like to know the strategy used by guys/girls here, so that I will be able to complete a course and skill up, rather than Downloading and saving all the courses(Not only from programming) and updating it whenever a new update comes.
🥺
damn why that hurt so bad , but its relatable

Reactions: whyyor

Keann_021

TutFlixer
Feb 5, 2022
None
Feel you bro about it's quite hard to get yourself to watch courses on programming or finish courses in general.
For me, I'd like to set a pomodoro timer for 30 mins then go thru the course then after 30 mins I'll take a five min break per session.
in those 30 mins that I'm learning, I'd like to follow what the instructor does step by step after that try to understand the logic of the program and what do those syntaxes do.

also don't try to watch many other programming stuff, just focus on the course that you've decided to watch.
I know it's tempting to attempt to do multiple things at once but in doing so you're spreading yourself thin and your learning capacity suffers which leads to poor retention of what you've learned.

Programming is best learned by doing not just watching the instructor. if you've encountered any problems worry not because there is stackoverflow at your back.

hope this helps you, bro :)

elliotalderson

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
Feel you bro about it's quite hard to get yourself to watch courses on programming or finish courses in general.
For me, I'd like to set a pomodoro timer for 30 mins then go thru the course then after 30 mins I'll take a five min break per session.
in those 30 mins that I'm learning, I'd like to follow what the instructor does step by step after that try to understand the logic of the program and what do those syntaxes do.

also don't try to watch many other programming stuff, just focus on the course that you've decided to watch.
I know it's tempting to attempt to do multiple things at once but in doing so you're spreading yourself thin and your learning capacity suffers which leads to poor retention of what you've learned.

Programming is best learned by doing not just watching the instructor. if you've encountered any problems worry not because there is stackoverflow at your back.

hope this helps you, bro :)
Thanks, mate. I will try the Pomodoro technique and see. That's some pretty good advice.:D

Limbonite

TutFlixer
Sep 6, 2020
Not Known
"If you have a Goal For that technology, You would never be distracted"

Eg: React Js Course => Goal: Create a portfolio with React Js or Unique React Js E-Commerce Website.

Seems you are learning alone (said faster in finishing lectures), Gather some folks and learn together! it makes the longest path than a faster path.

demt

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Jun 25, 2021
Taiwan
Not sure where did I hear this from, but I think this statement is spot-on: "Procrastination is your brain's way to tell you your plan sucks.".
So to beat procrastination, the first thing you want to do is try to make your plan clear, the fewer uncertainties in your plan, the better the chance you will feel like doing it. In the context of video course learning, make it very clear what you are going to do in one session, how long it will be, what means a job well done.

Sometimes even very trivial things can induce procrastination, like you don't have a proper environment set up, so you are kind of want to skip that coding assignment, so having a clear plan really help, a rule of thumb is if you feel to procrastinate, try to break the task further, make every item actionable, plan what you will do beforehand, and your chances to finish something should be at least several time greater.

And I watch the whole video in general, to me coding along feels really wrong, I think that time would be better spent at take some notes on interesting things and trying to replicate the code after.

jim3838

TutFlixer
Jul 29, 2021
Srilanka
First of all when I decide to complete a course I make sure that it's not any random half assed course. I look out for the reviews on internet and try to learn more about the teacher. This gives me confidence that the course is great and worth completing. I have also realized that when you can download unlimited courses from the internet you tend to move from one course to another fast and leave all course incomplete. So in my mind I assume that I have purchased the course for thousand of dollar which makes me take the course seriously.

Then I dedicate at least 2 hours a day for that course(my preference 1/1 hour on morning and night).

While watching the lessons from the tutorial I follow the following steps:
  • I follow along with the tutor and always tweak what the tutor has done and experiment various things before I move to the next video.
  • Make a text file called "lessons_learned.md" in the root of every project folder. In that file I write new things/tips/techniques that I have learned. If you don't take notes then whenever you need to revise or recall something you have to search for the whole video which is very tedious.
  • I take my time with the course. I cement my knowledge by solving related problems online, watching tutorials, reading blogs if there is any confusion.
  • I try my best to complete the course. It feels so good when you have taken your time, understood everything and finally completed course. It's like beating a video game completely.
  • After I complete the course I make a single pdf file by combining the "lessons_learned.md" file from every projects/lessons.
  • After reviewing the pdf file and making sure I understand everything I either delete the course completely or keep few important videos for future reference.
That's it. And if I really loved the course than I add it to my list of courses/books that I will pay for when I start to earn a good salary. I have decided that i will write a thank you note to the teacher and pay double the price of the course.

Thank you :)!

elliotalderson

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
"If you have a Goal For that technology, You would never be distracted"

Eg: React Js Course => Goal: Create a portfolio with React Js or Unique React Js E-Commerce Website.

Seems you are learning alone (said faster in finishing lectures), Gather some folks and learn together! it makes the longest path than a faster path.
Thanks for the reply buddy. That's something I could try. don't have that kind of peer group, but I'll try/

elliotalderson

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
First of all when I decide to complete a course I make sure that it's not any random half assed course. I look out for the reviews on internet and try to learn more about the teacher. This gives me confidence that the course is great and worth completing. I have also realized that when you can download unlimited courses from the internet you tend to move from one course to another fast and leave all course incomplete. So in my mind I assume that I have purchased the course for thousand of dollar which makes me take the course seriously.

Then I dedicate at least 2 hours a day for that course(my preference 1/1 hour on morning and night).

• I follow along with the tutor and always tweak what the tutor has done and experiment various things before I move to the next video.
  • Make a text file called "lessons_learned.md" in the root of every project folder. In that file I write new things/tips/techniques that I have learned. If you don't take notes then whenever you need to revise or recall something you have to search for the whole video which is very tedious.
  • I take my time with the course. I cement my knowledge by solving related problems online, watching tutorials, reading blogs if there is any confusion.
  • I try my best to complete the course. It feels so good when you have taken your time, understood everything and finally completed course. It's like beating a video game completely.
  • After I complete the course I make a single pdf file by combining the "lessons_learned.md" file from every projects/lessons.
  • After reviewing the pdf file and making sure I understand everything I either delete the course completely or keep few important videos for future reference.
That's it. And if I really loved the course than I add it to my list of courses/books that I will pay for when I start to earn a good salary. I have decided that i will write a thank you note to the teacher and pay double the price of the course.

That's some pretty good method I could say. definitely gonna try this method. seems good. Taking notes while watching videos and referring to it later will save a lot of time. also if you want to reinforce some concepts, you can just glance through the notes.
Thanks, mate.

qwerty09

TutFlixer
Jan 30, 2022
india
i know im a lil bit late. i just want to ask if it is okay to build the same project multiple times? in a programming tutorial? and it is okay to learn html, css, javascript and react js? not in the same time for example: mon-thurs > js and react, fri-sun html/css. i have a basic knowledge of html,css and JavaScript

Reactions: elliotalderson

prince_singh

TutFlixer
Dec 4, 2020
planet

that super awesome advice.

whyyor

TutFlixer
May 2, 2021
India
I generally code along with the instructor and take notes in notion side by side. So that in future if I forget about something I can just quick search the keyword and everything will be available in front of me with my own language, that way I get to understand it faster. This method has helped me build projects from courses that I have done in past and forgotten about completely.

So use a good NOTE TAKING APP and CODE ALONG!

best of luck!

umami

TutFlixer
Nov 13, 2020
USA
Patience and I normally set goals to watch a video a day along with notes. Normally pause and play with the instructor. Don't rush. You won't learn if your goal is to go through videos quick.

Reactions: elliotalderson

quadrihuncho

TutFlixer
Feb 6, 2022
Nigeria

I really like this your tips and the last part of the advice,I'll surely do the same when I'm working...I'll pay the author and tutflix

Reactions: qwerty09

Boy176

TutFlixer
Jun 23, 2022
India
Thank you everyone for posting your precious advices, I have realized what I was doing wrong and how can I do it properly. These are the best suggestions I have ever came across. Thanks a lot.

sam sam

TutFlixer
Jun 24, 2022
us
I tend to stick to the specific course and understand the stuff without googling too much. Earlier i used to research a lot on the course topic/video and loose time, so I stopped. Now just 1 thing at a time.

Hanta

TutFlixer
Jul 5, 2022
Canada
Sometimes I take notes on my phone while listening to stuff at work or when Im on my computer i will have Onenote open to take notes

Reactions: Alphasee

Latest resources