Build Power Pivot Data Models with Excel 2016 Power Query – take your DAX Business Intelligence to the next level
What you'll learn
- You will learn how to create a Data Model using Get & Transform in Excel
- Learn how to use "Disconnected" tables (Parameter tables) to maximise Insights
- Expand your understanding of the basic DAX Aggregator and Iterator Functions
- Understand the Initial Filter Context, Filter Context and Context Transition
- Gain confidence building measures with multiple functions - advancing your DAX tool-kit
- Learn how to catalogue your data model functions in Excel
- This course is the next course in the DAX Power Pivot - 10 Easy Steps for Beginners and/or DAX Power Pivot Time Intelligence - 10 Easy Steps series and uses Excel 2016
- Your Excel environment will have access to Power Pivot
- IMPORTANT: You need a version of Excel that is compatible with Power Pivot (Excel 2013/2016/2019 Standalone, Office 365, Enterprise E3/E5, Office Professional 2016, etc.)
- This course is designed for PC users (Power Pivot is currently unavailable with Excel for Mac)
This course builds upon the skills learned in the first course in this series DAX Power Pivot – 10 Easy Steps for Beginners.
You have already gotten your hands dirty with Power Pivot and seen how awesome it is. Now you are ready to take your skills to the next level by delving deeper and acquiring a more thorough understanding of how “Disconnected” or “Parameter” tables can be utilised to gain additional insights in your data models.
The first part of the course addresses Microsoft’s change to the DAX engine that now makes editing queries a challenge if you aren’t an expert in SQL. Therefore, you learn to use Get & Transform to import data and in doing so, reduce the size of your data model file size considerably.
You will draw upon your beginner DAX skills to delve deeper into the real meaning behind “Initial Filter Context”, “Filter Context” and “Context Transition” with explanations, diagrams, examples and practice exercises.
To leverage the capabilities of “Disconnected” tables, I introduce you to the concept of thresholds, cut-offs and banding. This really does open the door to a wealth of possibilities and you’ll learn some useful techniques to gain some powerful new insights along the way.
Throughout the course, you are building your skills and understanding – taking you to the next level at each Step – 1-10.
I’ll have a couple of surprises for you along the way – not only to boost your brownie-points at work but for your own piece of mind around administration of your data models!
Here's what others said about the course:
“Gilly. Did it again with the Addition of Dax PowerPivot-10 easy steps for intermediate course. This intermediate Course adds more formulas and Dax functions and even disconnected slicers and cube formulas to add your learning base and continues to build off the previous two courses. Gilly is a brilliant teacher who clearly has an in-depth understanding of how power pivot works. She can break it down and simplify Dax so you know how functions works and understand how to use it in your day-to-day excel work. If you follow along and do the exercises when you’re done with a lesson you fully understand how to complete and use the Dax formulas in your data work. If you want to understand and learn Dax, Gilly courses are what you want to start with. I recommend Gilly courses, you will be pleased with your results afterwards. Well done Gilly. Thanks”
"OUTSTANDING COURSE Love the exercises, really enforces the instruction Learning so much, will go over the course again reinforce learning Everything is explained in easy to understand terms"
“A lovely paced course with the different elements nicely segmented and of a good length. Certainly liked the extra surprise of Cubes. Will aid in displaying data that does not fit well with the confines of a pivot table. Cheers Gilly!”
“Do Love the way you teach. Hope to learn more from you for advanced DAX course with real world case studies. Bravo!”
“Trainer explains concepts really well without using too much tech talk. The many examples support the good understanding of the subjects. The speed is ok for advanced users but too fast if you did not follow the basic course. Course is complete and every important subject is explained.”
“Gilly does a great job of explaining complex concepts and makes her points using thought-provoking analogies. Excellent instructor!”
“The course continued to build on the 10 Easy steps for Beginners. Detailed Instructions and real-world examples. Deep dive into advanced Power Pivot Formulas.”
What you will learn in this course:
- Get & Transform – building the Data Model
- DAX Iterators & Aggregator Functions
- Initial Filter Context
- Filter Context
- Context Transition
- ALL(), ALLSELECTED() & ALLEXCEPT()
- IF() & HASONEVALUE()
- Creating/Adding Disconnected tables
- “Harvester” Measures
- Conversion Measures
I provide examples that we work through together. Then it’s over to you with practice exercises for you to help embed and consolidate your skills. I always provide video solutions – so, you’re never on your own.
Power Pivot is the perfect tool for those working in finance, statistics, project, business and market analysis or any data reporting role who have a need to create and produce Business Intelligence style dashboard and Insight reports.
I have used Excel 2016 to demonstrate this fantastic tool but you can follow along in Excel 2010 & 2013 - I'll do my best to point out the differences. If you have any questions about the course, feel free to message me here or check out the FREE preview lectures to learn more.
Thanks for taking the time to check out my course. I can't wait to help you take the next step in developing your DAX skills.
Take the first steps to a new and rewarding future by clicking on the TAKE THIS COURSE button, located on the top right corner of the page.
Who this course is for:
- I have designed this course for those students who want to take the next step in their DAX Power Pivot journey
- You will know how to create Measures and have an understanding of building Data Model Relationships
- Your understanding of CALCULATE(), FILTER() & ALL() will lend itself well to your continuing education in this next step