English Sounds of Received Pronunciation
What you'll learn
- Three hours of video instructions and demonstrations with Linda James, a top British speech tutor, and her student Olga Smith
- Useful insights from Olga Smith about difficulties with English sounds that students have and explanations how to overcome them
- Lessons that teach you how to produce all 43 sounds of Standard (British) English
- Tried and tested drama school method for accent reduction
- Pronunciation rules to make your speech grammatically correct
- Detailed descriptions of difficulties in pronunciation for speakers of world languages with recommendations
- Functional knowledge of English
Are you tired of being asked to repeat yourself? Is your strong accent dragging you down? This course is based on more than 25 years of teaching experience. We have been helping hundreds of people to get rid of their accents and become confident communicators. All our courses, books and apps are very practical and to the point, they are focused and contain 10% of theory and 90% of practice.
This course teachers you how to speak without an accent. During this course students will learn all sounds of Received Pronunciation (RP). RP was called in the past the Queen’s English, Oxford English or BBC English. Today, RP is simply a neutral pronunciation of educated Southern English; it is also called Standard English. RP is associated with good education, high class and success. This course will provide you a short cut to a more valuable enhanced image, which in turn will open doors to greater opportunities.
Content of the course
This course consists of 42 private video lessons and three lectures. Linda James, one of the top speech tutors in the UK with over 25 years of experience explains and demonstrates how each English sound is formed in the mouth. Her student, Olga Smith tries to produce the sounds and then Linda offers very effective exercises for Olga. The atmosphere of a private lesson is wonderful. Olga highlights to Linda main difficulties that different nationalities have with particular English sounds. Linda offers very useful tips which cannot be found in books or apps.
Together, Linda and Olga have co-authored several international bestsellers in the series the Get Rid of your Accent. The popularity of their books led to creating accompanying apps. Lesson numbers in the video course, books and apps correspond to the same sound. Audio books are available on Audible, paperback books and e-books on Amazon.
This video course is designed to support our existing apps and books in the series "Get Rid of your Accent" with a demonstration of speech organ positions, providing a total solution for accent reduction on line.
The main benefits of this course to students
1. You will have fun learning English sounds in the atmosphere of a private lesson.
2. You will get useful tips and techniques for accent reduction which are unique to this course.
3. You will learn pronunciation rules that make your speech grammatically correct.
4. The course is adapted for smartphones, tablets, and computers, allowing you to study at any time, anywhere.
5. If you are taking private lessons, the course makes your lessons more effective and helps you to save money on a number of lessons you take.
Who this course is for:
- People with regional or foreign accents who want to improve speech clarity
- Actors with non-RP accents who wish to pursue an acting career in the UK
- Hollywood actors who need to develop a British accent
- Professionals, doctors, diplomats for whom a high standard of English and clarity of speech are important
- Pronunciation and speech teachers
- People who want to speak with a neutral accent of Standard English or Received Pronunciation (RP) to enhance their social and professional life