Become a pro in Meteor and React by building a multiplayer, browser game with a retro style UI
What you'll learn
- React State
- React Components
- React Lifecycle Methods
- Meteor Methods
- Meteor Publications and Subscriptions
- Meteor Reactivity with Tracker
- Advanced Animations in React
- React-Spring Animation Library
- Build a game with the web stack
- Basic multiplayer gaming with the web stack
- Optimising web performance in React
- Database setup
- CRUD operations for the server and client
- Real-time data changes on the client
- Windows, Mac or Linux computer
- Internet connection to download software
Learn to use Meteor and React in a way that it is used by professional developers around the world. We will show you tricks and tips that you will not find in the manual. We will touch on:
- How to make sure your React app is super optimized for the best performance on the frontend
- How to run a multiplayer game that is played by people from different browsers and updating the UI in real time
- Working with Meteor on the server to handle data and and logging of scores
- Building animations with React-Spring
We designed this course to help beginners break out and take the next step and become comfortable with the many terms, concepts and frameworks that are widely used in in web development.
The course is jam packed with development goodies, tips, tools and techniques to take you further in your development journey. We will work with a bunch of tools and frameworks like:
- Meteor: Meteor is a full stack web development framework that is rising fast in popularity! They were recently acquired by Tiny Capital and have a the resources to make it one of the best frameworks the web has seen to date. We will use Meteor as project scaffold and make use of it's powerful features that come out of the box.
- React: React is the go to frontend framework for developers the world over. It is not easy to get into, but it is worth the effort! React will help us create a fast and responsive front end for our project.
- react-spring: React Spring is an advanced animation library for React. It will help us create amazing animations.
- Git: We will work with Git and Github as our version control system.
- NPM: We will use Node Package Manager to handle our packages for us.
- SASS: We are using SASS to write our styling in.
- State management in React
- Re-usable components in React
- Advanced animations in React
- Sass and SCSS
- React Concepts and Features
- What makes Meteor great as our full stack web framework
- Meteor methods
- Realtime data management
- Reading and storing data in the database in real-time
- Updating the UI in real-time without any page loads
- Multiplayer, cross-browser data management
Who this course is for:
- Beginner and Intermediate web developers
- React beginners
- Aspiring full stack web developers
- Backend developers that want up their skills on the front end
- Beginner web developers interested in building games
- Developers that want to sharpen their web development skills to become more professional