Implement a Dialogue Editor and Quest System and integrate it into an RPG project.
What you'll learn
- How to create custom editors in Unity.
- How to build UI using Unity AutoLayout.
- How to create a flexible Dialogue System for any game.
- How to create a modular Quest System for any game.
- How to provide Undo functionality in a Unity Editor.
- How to create a node based editor in Unity.
- How to implement enemy agro for a groups.
- How to integrate a Quest system with Dialogue.
- How to provide Quest rewards through an Inventory system.
- How to make Dialogue conditional on gameplay events.
- You should be able to write basic C# (loops, conditionals, components, etc)
- Some familiarity with Unity's APIs is helpful.
- You should know your way round Unity's editor.
- We recommend you take at least the first half of our Complete Unity Developer 2D or 3D, or equivalent, as a pre-requisite.
Using Unity 2020.1, we’ll show you how to include two essential game mechanics, dialogue and quests, in your games.
This highly acclaimed series was over 200% funded on Kickstarter, and is designed for intermediate users of Unity. We recommend you take at least the first half of our Complete Unity Developer 2D or 3D, or equivalent, as a prerequisite.
You can use the dialogue and quest systems together or independently in any game or project you build. We’ll be using an RPG as an example. You don't need to have completed the previous parts of the RPG Series (the RPG Core Combat and Inventory Systems courses) but it will give you an advantage if you already have.
The course is project-based as we believe this is the best way to learn Unity and C#. You will not just be learning dry programming concepts, but applying them immediately to a real RPG as you go.
We’ll provide the RPG project created so far in the series so that you can practice integrating to an existing complex project. Every element of the project we touch will be fully explained and no knowledge of the project will be required.
In the course we will be building the following from scratch:
- A node based dialogue editor window
- A ScriptableObject based dialogue asset
- An in game dialogue UI
- Dialogue triggers and condition to integrate with the gameplay
- A quest list with multi-step objectives
- Quest rewards given via the inventory system
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee. The creators are qualified and experienced coders and avid gamers, so are able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
You will have access to a course forum where you can discuss topics on a course-wide basis, or down to the individual video. Get plugged into our communities of amazing developers on Facebook (nearly 20k), in our own TA-curated Community (17k views/day), and our student chat group (10k live at any one time).
The course is still in production with new videos dropping on a weekly basis, making now a great time to get involved and help shape its future.
Dialogues and quests are core to many game genres. So why not join us and get started improving your game development right now?
Who this course is for:
- This course is for intermediate Unity users who want to create their own Dialogue or Questing systems..
- Our Complete Unity Developer course provides the perfect pre-requisite.