[Requesting feedback/suggestions] - Would you be interested in a project I'm building that might help this forum?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
Okay, so I have been picking up Django for the last few months using courses I've found here. I already work on backend using Python, but wanted to learn a web framework and Django felt like a good fit for me personally.

With a couple of portfolio projects under my belt, now I'd like to build a project to scratch my own itch. Before going any further, please note this is not a promotion of any kind at all - it's just my way of trying to validate a project idea that might also help this awesome forum. If I end up building it, I won't be monetizing it in any way. I just want to build something that solves a prevalent problem and is exclusive to this forum.

This is an exercise to validate my thoughts and get some feedback for the features that the web-app should have - directly from the potential folks who might want to use it.

Here's the idea - Crowdfunding, but for resources. Use collective buying power to purchase any resource(book/course/account) you want
You may not be able to afford a resource. But you can't afford not building skills either.

Use case -
  1. GroupBuy is a phenomenal feature exclusive to this forum. The idea is for people who want to buy something, but cannot afford it, to come together, pool their money and buy it as a group. For eg: if a resource costs $100 and 10 people are interested in that resource --> they can pool money and get it effectively for $10.50 each (assuming minute transaction costs .50)
  2. Many times you'd like a course, but you are not able to find enough people at that particular moment.

How the web-app can assist/Features -
  1. Users register on it using email. Once registered and verified, they can indicate their technologies/areas of interest (for eg: Python, React, JS, Data Engineering, Backend, Lifestyle, Productivity etc). This is crucial to know the users and their particular interests.
  2. If someone needs a resource, they can submit a request form with details - course URL, price, any other relevant info. This request is then sent for moderation.
  3. The moderator approves the request and now the resource is shown on front page for users to fund it. The user who requested it is notified. He/she can share the link with their friends who might find the course interesting.
  4. At the same time, users who have shown interest in that technology/area of interest in step 1 are also notified about this - because they could potentially like to participate in buying that relevant resource at a cheap investment(eg: minimum $5).
  5. $ Payments can be done using Paypal/Credit card.
  6. If the request is funded completely, the participators are notified likewise. If the request is falling short of only a few dollars, the moderator may or may not want to contribute the remaining amount based on their own discretion.
  7. If the request if funded completely, the moderator will buy the resource using collected funds and make it available to the participators in stipulated time - say 10 days.
  8. If the request if not funded completely, it is cancelled and refunds are made to the participators.

Suggestions? -

I know this is not an original idea at all. More like bootleg kick-starter crowdfunding. Feature set is also very small. But I'd like to create it anyway as a practice project and if people get some benefit from it, I'd be a happy person. It would be interesting to deliver a one person project that has real users. I've received so much from this forum and it would feel great to contribute in any way possible to help this audience.

That is my rough idea so far. Tear it apart. A couple of questions specifically:
  1. Are there any grave issues you see with the approach? How to avoid it?
  2. Any other set of features that might be helpful to the audience of interest.

Last edited:

Latest resources