Which apps/tools/extensions can you not live without?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
Okay, please don't mind the dramatic title.

I want to know if there are any (free/premium doesn't matter) tools/applications/extensions/services that has made a significant difference to your life. Perhaps something that has made it easy for you to learn/retain stuff quickly, consume information on the internet or raised your productivity in one way or another.

Here's a few of mine to give you an idea:

Leechblock(chrome extension): Helps me avoid procrastinating on YT/Reddit/Twitter/Imgur/TF(to some extent). Can set daily time limits for these websites and also create redirect urls for specific sites. For e.g.: right now if I enter Reddit in address bar, I"m directed to Leetcode Problems page.

Save Page WE(chrome extension): I always like to back up anything on the web that I might want to reference later. This extension creates as-is single html back file while retaining all CSS layouts and fonts.

Zotero(app): This has been a game changer for sure. If you like to highlight/annotate PDFs/Word/HTML files, you're missing out on this gem of an application. It is free and most of all has an array of plugins(zotfile being a must)

Flora(app): This is a POMODORO app. Basically a free alternative to well known Forest app.

Flux(app): Reduces blue light emitted from your screen. Must have if you work late at night. Better take care of them eyes! You only got two.

Notion: Quite popular! This is a premium service, but you can get it free with an edu account I believe. That' how I remember getting lifelong premium atleast. Hunt for some templates if you intend to use it for specific purpose. I guess other popular alternative is Evernote, but I never made the switch.

One tab(chrome extension): Quite often I'll go hunting down an error or researching some topic and have 20-30 tabs open. This extension helps you create a list from opened tabs and basically save it as a session for future reference. It also helps reduce memory usage by hungry chrome.

There are so many others that I use frequently. But those are quite niche to how I spend time online or on my laptop.

Are there other generic suggestions like this you know of? Something that might be helpful to folks here in general...

Mritunjay

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Feb 1, 2021
J&K
If you have multiple extensions on chrome you might want to use
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. By using this you can enable and disable extensions with one tap. This was a game Changer for me.

Another great tool is Github1s it will literally create a virtual vs code on any GitHub repository. For using it you have to type 1s before .com.
Example:- Open Both Links and see the difference
(regular Github Link)
(Github1s Link)

Last edited:

Ahmadns

TutFlixer
Mar 18, 2021
ISB
My personal favorite is Crono. It is similar to pushbullet. But very reliable. I usually use to it copy clipboard. Whenever I copy something in my mobile it automatically appears in crono chrome extension. Similarly we can do the opposite too from pc to mobile. Also works really well with notifications and can send files too.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
If you have multiple extensions on chrome you might want to use
. By using this you can enable and disable extensions with one tap. This was a game Changer for me.

Another great tool is Github1s it will literally create a virtual vs code on any GitHub repository. For using it you have to type 1s before .com.
Example:- Open Both Links and see the difference
(regular Github Link)
(Github1s Link)

Wow Extensity seemed like a great extension utility and I immediately installed and used it. Amazing it was!

And then after a while I checked out the second one and holy sh$t!!! It's one of those things you didn't know you wanted until you used it and then your world is shook for good. Now I'm thinking how many hours I've wasted cloning countless repos just to understand the codebase or to selectively 'borrow' some code.

This is why I love the community!! Great to stumble on to such gems. Please do share if you know more of such handy tools.

Mritunjay

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Feb 1, 2021
J&K
Wow Extensity seemed like a great extension utility and I immediately installed and used it. Amazing it was!

And then after a while I checked out the second one and holy sh$t!!! It's one of those things you didn't know you wanted until you used it and then your world is shook for good. Now I'm thinking how many hours I've wasted cloning countless repos just to understand the codebase or to selectively 'borrow' some code.

This is why I love the community!! Great to stumble on to such gems. Please do share if you know more of such handy tools.
Thanks, I will.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
My personal favorite is Crono. It is similar to pushbullet. But very reliable. I usually use to it copy clipboard. Whenever I copy something in my mobile it automatically appears in crono chrome extension. Similarly we can do the opposite too from pc to mobile. Also works really well with notifications and can send files too.

Pretty darn interesting! Will check it out surely.

Reactions: Ahmadns

Mritunjay

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Feb 1, 2021
J&K
Here's Another
. It is useful when you are watching "something" and you have to close the tabs and go to some other website with just one click.

• Love
Reactions: designey

tourist

Staff member
Uploader
TutFlixer
Oct 24, 2020
Software/App:
  • WireGuard
Extensions:
  • uBlock origin
  • Privacy Badger