Why it is so hard to get a job as a Software Developer?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

Muhammad-Roshan

TutFlixer
May 29, 2022
india
Hi,
I am a self-taught or community taught developer and been constantly struggling to get a job
I had to do other stuff like a job in a shop, and I am in a place where the opportunities for developers are very less, India Sikkim Gangtok I want to move out from here to Maybe Delhi India or Bangalore or anywhere, I am willing to move because I need to make connections because I am struggling for 2 years to get a job, I have done tons of interviews and internship s but most of them ask for an experience which I can't have without a job.
3 weeks ago I was really happy because I was offered an internship and I gave my best during these weeks and built 3 landing pages for the clients but for some reason, after finishing a few projects they said I am inexperienced and should take a break...
No, I got nothing and was left depressed and I was blaming myself for not being good enough...
But one of the devs who are my friend helped me and said not to give up or lose hope and keep so that's what I am trying to do,
I have experience with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and react js, I am hungry for learning but I need to have a job because living alone without Money will be hard, I do some graphic design for local businesses but it is something I don't like doing, I am doing it to put food in the table...
Here's my Github name is
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, I can post any links before getting 5 points
Do DM me please I will send my resume. Thank you all and may God make it easy for all who are trying to chase their dreams...

encephalitis

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
india
at banglore and chennai ! the opportunities are huge and full stack web dev is what mostly people now-a-days look for !
try @theJasonSamuel instagram , they run a startup and might be able to give you a job :)
good luck but one thing the opportunities are huge af !!!!

• Love
Reactions: prince_singh

cronos12

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Apr 11, 2022
Lebanon
You said that "But one of the devs who are my friend helped me"
does your friend work for a company?? if he does ask him for a referral it is so helpful
building your network and having some friends is good actually for getting a job, give it a try and don't give up (y)(y)

shinrax

TutFlixer
Apr 8, 2021
Pakistan
My best tip is to do freelancing as a side gig a little bit just to build your resumé. Make sure to write down in your CV that you are:
<your-name>
freelancer | front-end developer | graphic designer

Then start to apply for jobs. I can guarantee you people will reach out to you. Just make sure when you talk during the interview about how you are getting clients and why you like and don't like to do freelancing, because you will start and talk business than being just a pure technical person. A combination of being technical and knowing business is gold. Study also a little bit of project leadership, because when you are doing side gigs, you need to use the project leadership technique to manage your clients. During the interview, you have something to talk about not just being totally green. People can see through their eyes if you are freshie or not.

The reason I am saying this is because I was in the same boat as you. I started out with a small agency and went to a medium agency. Today I work in a big corp.

Reactions: cronos12

CodeVj

TutFlixer
Apr 5, 2021
Web
My best tip is to do freelancing as a side gig a little bit just to build your resumé. Make sure to write down in your CV that you are:
<your-name>

Then start to apply for jobs. I can guarantee you people will reach out to you. Just make sure when you talk during the interview about how you are getting clients and why you like and don't like to do freelancing, because you will start and talk business than being just a pure technical person. A combination of being technical and knowing business is gold. Study also a little bit of project leadership, because when you are doing side gigs, you need to use the project leadership technique to manage your clients. During the interview, you have something to talk about not just being totally green. People can see through their eyes if you are freshie or not.

The reason I am saying this is because I was in the same boat as you. I started out with a small agency and went to a medium agency. Today I work in a big corp.
Nice suggestion 👍
Additional
*Make Real world Projects
*Try to build Network

cronos12

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Apr 11, 2022
Lebanon
<your-name>

such a great tip 👍👍 job refferals are also so helpful asking your friends for a job refferal ✊️

prince_singh

TutFlixer
Dec 4, 2020
planet
Hi,
I am a self-taught or community taught developer and been constantly struggling to get a job
I had to do other stuff like a job in a shop, and I am in a place where the opportunities for developers are very less, India Sikkim Gangtok I want to move out from here to Maybe Delhi India or Bangalore or anywhere, I am willing to move because I need to make connections because I am struggling for 2 years to get a job, I have done tons of interviews and internship s but most of them ask for an experience which I can't have without a job.
3 weeks ago I was really happy because I was offered an internship and I gave my best during these weeks and built 3 landing pages for the clients but for some reason, after finishing a few projects they said I am inexperienced and should take a break...
No, I got nothing and was left depressed and I was blaming myself for not being good enough...
But one of the devs who are my friend helped me and said not to give up or lose hope and keep so that's what I am trying to do,
I have experience with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and react js, I am hungry for learning but I need to have a job because living alone without Money will be hard, I do some graphic design for local businesses but it is something I don't like doing, I am doing it to put food in the table...
Here's my Github name is
, I can post any links before getting 5 points
Do DM me please I will send my resume. Thank you all and may God make it easy for all who are trying to chase their dreams...

if you really want a job you should learn Next.js. and and make your portfolio little interesting. look really bad.

shinrax

TutFlixer
Apr 8, 2021
Pakistan
if you really want a job you should learn Next.js. and and make your portfolio little interesting. look really bad.

That's a dumb suggestion. It's like saying learn XYZ stacks, otherwise, your portfolio is not interesting. Every company uses different stacks. Just because next.js is a hot thing, doesn't mean the company you want to work for use that stack. It's more important for a candidate to match for example 8/10 stacks that the company is using than 1/10.

CodeVj

TutFlixer
Apr 5, 2021
Web
Appreciate your suggestion but it's like from the future..... Next Js is just start their world many startup still on present stack.

twistertune

TutFlixer
Sep 16, 2020
Netherlands
Hey friend.

I don't live in India, but I work as a manager, so take this as constructive criticism as I have seen hundreds of resumes and portfolios. I mean no disrespect, but this going to sound harsh. Sorry to say, but your portfolio is really really bad:
  • Bad layout
    : Why is your logo and "portfolio" hanging out in the corner? Navigation and social icons have no spacing between them. It's very busy in there and leads to a bad UI. Why do you need those icons in the header anyways?
  • Unclear intent: Is this your personal resume, or for an agency? Currently it's a mix of both; e.g.
    you say your name and welcome reader to your portfolio, but the you have a contact us button. Who is "Us"? Are there multiple "Roshan"s? It's ambiguous and makes you look like a noob (not a beginner, but a noob, who doesn't know sh*t). Am I hiring a person or an agency?
  • Poor copy:
    • Improper punctuation (e.g., having periods "." after some sentences, unnecessary uppercase letters in the middle of sentences).
    • Unnecessary blabbing in you hero and about sections. Why do you need to talk so much? No one's reading any of that sh*t, and it takes the user away from the flow of your page. Another example is the technologies section, stop yapping and list the damn technologies.
  • Poor styling:
    • Why are the two project cards different in size?
    • Why is the copy flowing out of its container in the personal achievements section?
    • The footer is so empty and you have 2 phone numbers listed. Do you want me to call you this number, or that number? Just list one number and stick with it everywhere.
    • The blue divider is missing from after the technology section (just above the "About" text).
  • Poor HTML Scemantics: Your header is all div tags. You footer is a section tag. Your social icons are just a tags inside a div, but they are clearly a list.
  • Lying on your portfolio: The portfolio design is clearly not your own. You are clearly not a good designer, and have no sense of UX/UI that you list under technologies. You don't have a good command of CSS, as evident from the mistakes I laid out above.
Looking at just your portfolio, it does not give me enough confidence that you are a good engineer. Your work looks sloppy at best, and I would not even shortlist you for an interview, let alone hire you. And I haven't even looked at the responsiveness or the mobile view of your portfolio, or you projects for that matter.

Sorry budd, not trying to put you down. But you need to understand that there are many beginners available in the market, and judging by your portfolio, you need a lot of training. Most companies want to hire a person that starts delivering results as soon as they are on-boarded.

CodeVj

TutFlixer
Apr 5, 2021
Web
Opportunity's are everywhere just you have to polish your skills set. Everyone goes from that phase. Just you have to be confident and consistent. No one is pro. You have to make it.

StarLite

TutFlixer
Jan 22, 2022
Pakistan
Hey friend.

I don't live in India, but I work as a manager, so take this as constructive criticism as I have seen hundreds of resumes and portfolios. I mean no disrespect, but this going to sound harsh. Sorry to say, but your portfolio is really really bad:
  • Bad layout
    : Why is your logo and "portfolio" hanging out in the corner? Navigation and social icons have no spacing between them. It's very busy in there and leads to a bad UI. Why do you need those icons in the header anyways?
  • Unclear intent: Is this your personal resume, or for an agency? Currently it's a mix of both; e.g.
    you say your name and welcome reader to your portfolio, but the you have a contact us button. Who is "Us"? Are there multiple "Roshan"s? It's ambiguous and makes you look like a noob (not a beginner, but a noob, who doesn't know sh*t). Am I hiring a person or an agency?
  • Poor copy:
    • Improper punctuation (e.g., having periods "." after some sentences, unnecessary uppercase letters in the middle of sentences).
    • Unnecessary blabbing in you hero and about sections. Why do you need to talk so much? No one's reading any of that sh*t, and it takes the user away from the flow of your page. Another example is the technologies section, stop yapping and list the damn technologies.
  • Poor styling:
    • Why are the two project cards different in size?
    • Why is the copy flowing out of its container in the personal achievements section?
    • The footer is so empty and you have 2 phone numbers listed. Do you want me to call you this number, or that number? Just list one number and stick with it everywhere.
    • The blue divider is missing from after the technology section (just above the "About" text).
  • Poor HTML Scemantics: Your header is all div tags. You footer is a section tag. Your social icons are just a tags inside a div, but they are clearly a list.
  • Lying on your portfolio: The portfolio design is clearly not your own. You are clearly not a good designer, and have no sense of UX/UI that you list under technologies. You don't have a good command of CSS, as evident from the mistakes I laid out above.
Looking at just your portfolio, it does not give me enough confidence that you are a good engineer. Your work looks sloppy at best, and I would not even shortlist you for an interview, let alone hire you. And I haven't even looked at the responsiveness or the mobile view of your portfolio, or you projects for that matter.

Sorry budd, not trying to put you down. But you need to understand that there are many beginners available in the market, and judging by your portfolio, you need a lot of training. Most companies want to hire a person that starts delivering results as soon as they are on-boarded.
Thank you for your honest and detailed review. I can 100% agree on all of the things you listed out. This review will help a tremendous amount of people to not make the same mistakes listed here.

encephalitis

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
india
i will tell you , what i find to be is practical and possible !!! i guess it will be simple and short , let's classify into three categories !!!

1) Learn DSA and CP (if possible) become really good at it and learn little about OS,CN-> apply for FAANG

2) Learn deployable level skills (deploying massively scalable apps in real time), must also be able to create them -> apply for startups

3) Join at an academy where they teach you coding skills and get you placed ! it must be a postpaid model -> you'll learn with zero cost up front , get placed for some x package and after that you will be charged from your monthly salary

These are the only possible ways and there's bias,favoritism, your communication skills,etc,etc
Most companies look for candidates with Engineering degree (incase of india)

Now all these above have something in common , these are something possible and it will take 1 year
to master your way in any of these phases !!!!
again it depends whether you are college student or working professional or dropout or just completed highschool idk !

4) else get a job at a reputed service based company , work there meanwhile harness your coding skills and make jumps to product based companies (again this is possible), now why i didn't included this in category ? because most people now-a-days are doing this lmao XD

All the best

PS:- coding/software development isn't the only job that's available in this world . there are other fields which pays handsomely but most data we seen on internet is biased or maybe not :p

Reactions: techvinu

Latest resources