A future developer with many doubts...

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

robdoria

TutFlixer
Feb 7, 2021
Berlin
Hello guys! Firt of all saying thanks for this incredible community. I was in shock about how much content and quality courses you have here, and secondly, I stayed also amazed because of the forums and the people here!

I did not know how to start this thread, but I would like you to ask some questions in order to avoid future mistakes:

1) It is FreeCodeCamp a great place to start from?

I already have a solid knowledge about html/css. Recently I started to learn JS on FCC. At first it seemed easy, the concepts are explained on a sucint way and you have several "exercises/challengs" for every concept. The problem (for me) arrives when the concepts are more complex and the challenges became more difficult (some of them are not explained very well or the instructions are not clearly at all). All this was frustrating me a little bit :/

2) It is a ebook a great idea?

I also like traditional education but It is also frustrating to start reading a book (for beginners) and to find on the first pages that they are already teaching you abstract stuff like "strict mode". To be honest I think it is not the best point to start from.

3) How to escape from the Tutorial hell?

Im tired or starting tutorials and stop to follow them because the instructor does not explain very well, he/she goes very fast, the tutorial is for an advanced level or I dont feel attracted to the project.

I would like to know the opinion, experience and advices from another learners!

PS. Some days ago I saw here on Tutflix a thread about a frontend dev guide but sadly I cannot find the thread. Can anyone tell me the link?
It seemed very interesting! Thanks in advance

Richard Caqo

TutFlixer
Dec 16, 2020
Morocco
Hello guys! Firt of all saying thanks for this incredible community. I was in shock about how much content and quality courses you have here, and secondly, I stayed also amazed because of the forums and the people here!

I did not know how to start this thread, but I would like you to ask some questions in order to avoid future mistakes:

1) It is FreeCodeCamp a great place to start from?

I already have a solid knowledge about html/css. Recently I started to learn JS on FCC. At first it seemed easy, the concepts are explained on a sucint way and you have several "exercises/challengs" for every concept. The problem (for me) arrives when the concepts are more complex and the challenges became more difficult (some of them are not explained very well or the instructions are not clearly at all). All this was frustrating me a little bit :/

2) It is a ebook a great idea?

I also like traditional education but It is also frustrating to start reading a book (for beginners) and to find on the first pages that they are already teaching you abstract stuff like "strict mode". To be honest I think it is not the best point to start from.

3) How to escape from the Tutorial hell?
Im tired or starting tutorials and stop to follow them because the instructor does not explain very well, he/she goes very fast, the tutorial is for an advanced level or I dont feel attracted to the project.

I would like to know the opinion, experience and advices from another learners!

PS. Some days ago I saw here on Tutflix a thread about a frontend dev guide but sadly I cannot find the thread. Can anyone tell me the link?
It seemed very interesting! Thanks in advance
hello , I'm like you i started my dev journey last year, i stayed consistent for 10 months straight untill i despaired after that because programming is literally is changing the way you think and changing the way you communicate with a computer , I did every good damn tutorial i saw in youtube or downloaded here to the point i despaired so much that i stopped all together for 6 month and went on down hell addiction journey for 6 month.

atm I recovered a bit and planning to go back to code . my advice is :
- learn html and css to the point where you can make a decent website ( no need to be expert if you don't wanna be a designer )
- then focus on learning JavaScript no framework until you feel that you know what you are doing ( dev is all about googling and finding solutions and tweak them to your own preference , do this until you fully be able to create you own solution from scrape )
- learn a framework after that .
as far as resource materials , anything from here or codecamp is fine , went through a lot they all the same thing they don't really show you anything new . so it's all about doing copywork until you manage to understand how the code work to be able to tweak it eventually you will reach a point where your able to create you own code from zero.
all of humanity learns by one rule : steal steal steal until it become yours.
and don't despair it will take more than 1 year to fully feel like your able to code without help
and stay consistent and god lord stay the ***Used a Abusive Word *** away from youtubers who say how to become dev in 6 month or some bullshit like that . i got trapped in the trap of comparing myself to others and it almost destroyed me so srsly don't watch these kind of youtubers.

robdoria

TutFlixer
Feb 7, 2021
Berlin
hello , I'm like you i started my dev journey last year, i stayed consistent for 10 months straight untill i despaired after that because programming is literally is changing the way you think and changing the way you communicate with a computer , I did every good damn tutorial i saw in youtube or downloaded here to the point i despaired so much that i stopped all together for 6 month and went on down hell addiction journey for 6 month.

- learn html and css to the point where you can make a decent website ( no need to be expert if you don't wanna be a designer )
- then focus on learning JavaScript no framework until you feel that you know what you are doing ( dev is all about googling and finding solutions and tweak them to your own preference , do this until you fully be able to create you own solution from scrape )
as far as resource materials , anything from here or codecamp is fine , went through a lot they all the same thing they don't really show you anything new . so it's all about doing copywork until you manage to understand how the code work to be able to tweak it eventually you will reach a point where your able to create you own code from zero.
and don't despair it will take more than 1 year to fully feel like your able to code without help
and stay consistent and god lord stay the ***Used a Abusive Word *** away from youtubers who say how to become dev in 6 month or some bullshit like that . i got trapped in the trap of comparing myself to others and it almost destroyed me so srsly don't watch these kind of youtubers.
Thanks you very much Richard for sharing your experience!

SoulSurvivor7

TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
Just pick 1 or 2 resources. And try to stick with it (no matter what).
Nowadays it's like an addiction to download as much tutorials.

Nothing wrong with tutoials. But you got to practice what you learn. Ive done this the wrong way. For years only watching tutorials. I made a whole list with all the tutorials i want to watch. It was like a marathon race. Try to finish some tutorials as quick as possible. All I was doing was coding along with the instructor, without making any progress!

In the end i wasn't learning anything. Such a waste of time.

My advice try Odin Project (it's free).
You will read alot. And iIt will not handhold you. It will also force you to create projects without much knowledge.

You will get stressed out. But feeling uncomfortable is the only way to grow QUICKLY.

Last edited:

SoulSurvivor7

TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020

Nice post.
But i think a Front dev job in 6 months Is completely doable. Is it easy ? No!! Is it possible ? Yes!!
If you are very disciplined, and are able to code +-5 hours a day (the more the better). I don't see, why it isn't possible.

Don't get me wrong. You will not be a senior dev in 6 months. But for a junior role you basically only need HTML, CSS and JS
A Framework is a nice bonus but isn't a must. Most of the learning happens on the job anyway.

I think Odin Project Foundation and Odin Project Full Stack Javascript can be done in 6 months (if you can put in the hours). And when done, you have a good foundation for a junior position.

Reactions: thshar

Mr Kabir

TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Bangladesh
After wasting a great amount of time I realized that we should not start learning before Determining what to build.

Select Some real projects (2 or 3) that you want to build and determine what knowledges are required to accomplished this project and find tutorial based on those requirements.

Don't focus on completing the tutorial series Focus on the project to complete and Yest must complete the project. After completing a project you would feel much confident, so start with a very easy project that you can accomplish. after that add more feature and find more learning tutorial or take new project that required more features and find more tutorial based on that project. It worked for me very effectively.

Watching 40-50 hours tutorial is completely waste of time in my opinion. If you dont know anyting about the tech stack u choose just watch some basics to understand (7-10days). and go straight to selecting project to build and start building.

NEVER EVER TRY TO COMPLETE THE 40-50 hours TUTORIAL SERISE. TRY TO COMPLETE 4-5 PROJECTS.
AFTER COMPLETING THE PROJECTS WOULD FEEL THAT YOU DONT NEED TUTORIALS, JUST READING DOCUMENTATION IS ENOUGH.

d2048

TutFlixer
Oct 20, 2021
Sweet Home
as been told: scratch where it itches.
need to be REAL problem to solve, and other things will come relatively easy
first need to understand what u want to do really and then what tools do u need to do that.
Just learn "js" to "earn lot-of-money" leads to nothing, i think.

Reactions: thshar

Deathrovv

TutFlixer
Feb 21, 2022
Spain
Hi everyone! Like OP I'm new here and after having a look around I stumbled upon this thread. You guys really seem like a welcoming and helping community. As a new member and self-taught web dev I would like to contribute my 2 cents to the discussion. This might end up being lengthy, so I'll provide a TL;DR at the end.

Disclaimer: I stared learning web dev at the beginning of 2021 with no prior programming knowledge. I'm currently doing interviews for a junior web dev position. By no means am I an expert and my words should not be taken as gospel. With that out of the way, here's what I did, what I should've done, and what helped me:

Colt Steele's Web Dev Bootcamp on Udemy - my first foray into the world of web development. I have nothing but good things to say about the course, save for the abrupt ending, but that might've been fixed. Colt explains the concepts in a very well structured and entertaining manner. They are also easily digestible - every video is no more than 10 minutes. It is a good and meaty tutorial that will take through HTML, CSS, JS, as well as some basic backend tech like Node, Express, and even MongoDB. Can't go wrong with this course, especially for 10 euros.

Jonas Schmedtmann's Complete JS Course Udemy - also a good one. While his delivery is more dry, the concepts he teaches are very in-depth. Going in I thought I had JS more or less nailed down, however this course showed that I still had more to learn. It is entirely JS focused and it teaches you the ins and outs of the language. I've also had personal correspondence with Jonas regarding a project of mine and the guy has been very helpful. Recommended.

CodeWars - website where you can practice and master JS (among other languages) by completing small challenges. Has a quasi-competitive nature and is gamified. For a while I got addicted to solving problems there. Best part is after you finally figure out a solution you get to see how other people solved the same problem. Some of the solutions are truly ingenious and I've learned a lot from seeing them. Definitely recommend as I've improved my problem solving skills and learned the JS methods by heart. Some might say that you don't need to memorise a language's methods, however if it's your first language I believe you need to learn them and have them in mind. Helps knowing what's in your toolbox when you're solving a problem.

FCC - I've done a lot of the courses there - HTML, CSS, JS, and partly React. However in my experience it is more of an auxiliary resource as it only provides a very condensed and summarised explanation for the majority of the concepts. It's good practice and the final exams are a good call to action, however I wouldn't rely on it alone. I did it when I already had Colt's course under my belt so I had prior knowledge. The React course was taught with classes, which some consider outdated. IMHO functional React with hooks is more comprehensible. Don't bother with the certificate. If only for personal satisfaction, otherwise it's useless. Recruiters don't care about it and it's not recognised anywhere.

Youtube - Traversy Media and my favorite, Fireship. Both of them do a marvelous job explaining things and have very hands-on courses. Traversy for longer, more involved projects, Fireship for new tools, concepts, and memes. Really, the guy is an amazing teacher and deserves every subscriber and then some. Several of my personal projects were build upon the foundations that I learned from them. Shoutout to Jomatech as well - fun quality videos with a programmer theme.

Odin Project - like some have already mentioned it's a very good and hands-on approach to learning. Almost every lesson has some kind of interactive hands-on section and to my knowledge they update it frequently.

Books - Think Like a Programmer by V. Anton Spraul and JavaScript: the Definitive Guide by David Flanagan. Think like a programmer is a good book if you want to learn basic and advanced programming pattens. After all programming is about patterns and with time you learn to recognise and apply patterns. Be warned that the book uses C++ for the examples, but it's a good resource nonetheless. You will also get to see how easy we have with JS. JS the definitive guide speaks for itself - it's a solid book that goes in-depth and provides ample examples. Haven't finished it yet so I can't give a proper opinion, but so far it's been useful.

What I should've done - working on my own projects earlier. A cliche, but I should've gotten my hands dirty much sooner. Tutorial hell is a real thing and it is not easy to get out of that comfort zone. But I can say with certainty that I did not learn proper web dev until I applied my knowledge. For example I learned React by making my own project. Going in I had vague idea of what React is. But by actually building something I gained a much more in-depth knowledge of the framework and also realised that my initial idea of React was wrong.

Working by yourself and escaping tutorial hell - It's going to be hard. You'll get frustrated, you'll feel stuck, you'll lose time. You might even be tempted to give up. But you'll need to plow forward and overcome those hills and valleys - the Dunning-Kruger effect is a thing and you will experience it. Often you'll have problems with an element or a particular piece of JS in the evening, but then in the morning you'll figure it out. That's the magical thing about our brains - even when we're not actively working on something our brain still does in the background.

If it's any solace (it was for me, regrettably), there are a lot of "seasoned" programmers out there that don't know basic stuff. I've met them, I've seen their tutorials online. A number of times when I'm looking for an article on how to use a feature or how to implement something I will stumble upon a confidently written post that is flat out wrong. I don't mean the implementation is inefficient or it does not follow DRY principles. Flat out "React does not allow that" wrong. So you don't need to know everything and not every programmer out there is a genius whiz.

It's tricky to figure out what project to make, yes. But I'm sure you already have some small projects that you created by following a tutorial. These are a good start. You can use them as a foundation and add features. Another tip is to ask friends and relatives if they need a website. Chances are you will get some clients that way. Everybody needs a website these days. My advice would be to not do it entirely for free, but to have some symbolic sum. This way both you and the client will be held accountable and you will be invested into completing it.

Creating your website is daunting. If you're building one from scratch, make sure to learn some basics of UI & UX. Kevin Powell on Youtube has some nice tutorials that can teach you the basics of white space, hierarchy, colour palettes, etc. in a short amount of time. Prototyping the website and creating a mock-up is an immense help and I wish I learned that sooner. Having the design done before even a single line of code has been written is a huge relief. Figma is the way to go - it's free, it's intuitive, and it's not made by Adobe.

Don't linger and tinker with your projects, you'll waste too much time polishing a turd. Your first website will likely suck and that's ok. You'll return to it after some months or even years and will get a kick out of how far you've come. MVP (Minimum Viable Product) - as soon as it works put it on the web. It doesn't need to be perfect, it needs to work. Netlify is a good option for free hosting. It also has continuous Github integration. Meaning you can update the already live website instantaneously.

Github - get in the habit of the git routine. Upload your projects and do regular commits. It will allow you to have an easy to reference library of your projects and will show recruiters that you are active. Anytime you added a new feature or are done with developing for the day, push it to Github. Also serves as backup for your work in case something happens to your machine.

Frameworks - they're cool, they're useful and they can make your life easier. But before jumping into one make sure you have a firm grasp on JS. JS is the foundation and it needs to be solid. Same goes for CSS - Bootstrap, Tailwind, Stitches are good, but you need to know the basics first. Without a solid foundation you will be hampered down the road and will have to re-learn how to walk.

Choice of framework matters, but as long as you have one of the big three (or two, depending who you ask) you should be fine. Advice I heard many times is to look at the job postings in the geographical area you want to work in, see which one is the dominant one and go for that. Don't be afraid to explore and play around with other frameworks and languages. Be curious. It's not a marriage, it's a polygamy. For example, if you enjoy music you can try Sonic Pi - it's a tool that allows to write music using code. It's Ruby-based so the syntax is very easy to grasp.

Guess that's it. Hope this helps you and anybody else who stumbles in here.

P.S. I wasn't sure if we're allowed links so I omitted them. I will add them if necessary but all of the referenced resources are easily searchable anyways.

TL;DR There is a ton of quality resources out there and you need them, but make sure to get your hands dirty. Use Github, start your own projects, make a website for a friend, put it online, move on to the next. Practice your JS, be curious about new technologies. It's going to be hard, but rewarding.

SoulSurvivor7

TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
Great post man.
I also started with Colt Steele (but never finished the course). And althrough he's a very good teacher. I think you will learn a lot faster by just building projects from the start. And google your ass out when you stuck.

That's why i'm a big fan of Odin Project. Getting frustrated and discouraged is part of the journey. The problem is that most people quit when they get frustrated. And then they come back later and binge watch tutorials on Udemy (like that will help :D).

Programming is hard. But it's also very rewarding. Thus imo worth your time.
I compare programming with playing Souls games (Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc). You will DIE a lot. But once you finish a boss (after countless deaths). It feels so rewarding!

P.S. Jonas's Advanced CSS Course is probably the best css course out there. But he's so boring to listen to. And his videos are way tooo long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deathrovv

robdoria

TutFlixer
Feb 7, 2021
Berlin
Hi guys! First of all I would like say you thanks for sharing your learning experiences, favourite resources and so on!
I agree with many of you, it is very important to take action after a little bit of "theory". You don´t need to learn the whole story about var/let/const and so on... just after learning the basic concept we need to move on and put in practice the theorical concepts.

For sure the first projects/exercises will very silly, but we cannot build a house from the roof.

I started recently to refresh some concepts about htm/css (Im learning Tailwind, awesome tool by the way!). In the same process Im learning JS, Im following a FCC video bases on 15 JS projects:

In order to put in practice and improve all what Im learning, Im trying to ""reinvent the wheel"". And what does it mean? :D
Easy! For example. the project number 2 it is simply a JS counter with 2 buttons (+ and -). So I decided to design from scratch on Figma a kind of product card, after, I started to code it using Tailwind and this weekend (it is when I have free time) I would like to add to my project the same functionalities that the counter project has. Below, I show you an image of what I designed.

Basically I try to take a project, to build a different layout with a different aspect (and I practice my UI skills) and if it is possible I try to add some extra functionalities on the code.

Latest resources