Ideal setup to cheat in virtual coding interviews?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
TLDR:
What would be your ideal setup to quickly look up the answer to a Leetcode question in a virtual interview? Assuming you have practiced enough questions that you can take a peek at the solution for a minute & know what's going on. You know all the basic question patterns & language constructs, but just need to look at the logic real quick, and then you'll be able to code it in coderpad without any further help.

Note: Both you & the interviewer will be on webcam video call with shared coderpad screen. So the technique has to work without raising any suspicions.

Context:
Okay, please hear me out before you judge me for my morality. I'm normally an ethical person & try not to cheat/bend rules. I'm also a decent engineer who can handle coding applications decently. But I suck at interviews generally & I really need an edge when it comes to solving LC style questions in real-time setting.

I have a bunch of Leetcode style interviews lined up soon. While I have prepared some 200 odd questions and feel comfortable solving a medium in 20-30 minutes. But there are always going to be some questions that won't click(especially hard ones) which you won't be able to code without some help. Basically I don't want to leave things up to luck.

So I'm reaching out to the street-smart tutflix community to enlighten us with any ingenious methods that might just work to cheat your way out of a technical coding screen interview. You may have done it in the past successfully, or might have heard of a friend doing it. Doesn't matter. Do share any & all details if possible.

I hope this is a judgement free zone. Honestly, think of this being an exercise in resourcefulness. We could argue that interviews these days have become needlessly difficult than the actual jobs. Perhaps your inputs could help some more folks find that extra ounce of luck.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
I'm going on an interview spree since I've prepared for the last month of so.

A bunch of tier 2/3 companies. And 2 from FAANGMULLA - Amazon(lined up in ~3 weeks). Microsoft(in process of scheduling)

Kass

TutFlixer
May 18, 2021
Ireland
Well, I would recommend you to get a second screen somewhere and have it set up so that a third party (friend, wife) can find the stuff for you and present it for you to glance at it.

Reactions: flamingass

tacc9001

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Sep 19, 2020
Brazil
Finally someone asked, I am in very same position as you @flamingass. I am a decent engineer with good experience in various industries. From the past 2-3 month I am trying to solve the Leetcode easy-medium questions but no matter how many questions i solve by looking at solutions or maybe trying to solve on my own. I just feel blank even though i learnt everything about the different data structure and algorithms as well.

Hope we can get something

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
@alexkage Frankly it's just due to strong referrals. I have friends who've been at these companies for a while, and they were willing to refer me. I was initially doing black box applications with no luck. After that I decided to squeeze my LinkedIn connections to land interviews.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
@alexkage I believe so. Check out the respective companies' Online Assessment collection links from Leetcode. Most likely questions appearing there are the ones show up for you as well.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
Thanks. This would be the most practical way I believe.

Would also like to see if there are any ways to carry this out solo.

Kass

TutFlixer
May 18, 2021
Ireland
If you have large enough screen you could prepare a bunch of open tabs with most asked questions. Although i am not sure what sort of conferencing software they use. They might have something to keep track of active window or something.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
Thanks! I feel less of an outcast now lol

But seriously I totally agree with what you said. Hats off to people who are smart enough to crack interviews with less practise. I've seen some in LC weekly contests. It'd take more than 500 problems to really grokk these questions such that you can solve any new ones. I'll honestly run out of patience, motivation & time by then.

Hence I wanted to know if there's anything to give us even the tiniest amount of edge during interviews.

krusty

TutFlixer
May 5, 2021
india
Try your best, And try to layout your approach before solving it, write comment to your approach and divide problem and start working on it.
Even if you don't reach to the solution you will show them that you got what it takes to solve a problem.
Real challenges are way different than the coding challenges so having a approach that layout the initial steps first to solve a problem is the best.

flamingass

TutFlixer
Jan 13, 2021
localghost
Most definitely agree with this. And this should be the ideal way of conducting interviews.

However, we also need to accept the exposure to so many resources has raised the interview bar. And they expect a bug free solution covering all edge cases in the stipulated time. Not all, but some companies certainly do. Also comes down to the interviewer. Hence looking for a hacky aid.

Reactions: iamblankness

Kass

TutFlixer
May 18, 2021
Ireland
Also, be aware that some of the interviewers may ask you to take pictures or a short video of the room.
And it is possible that they can block your browsers throughout the session. I doubt this may be the case with small companies but with FAANG it could be.

Reactions: flamingass

Latest resources